Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why I am thankful to be a mom!

In honor of Mother's Day I thought I would write the reasons I'm glad I'm a mom.
1. I always knew growing up I wanted children, and for awhile it was just Marshal and me and those times were good and fun, and now they are still good, but funny.
2. I now know why my mom did and said the things she did. I never thought "Because I said so" would be a phrase I would use, but only kids can make this a common phrase in any house.
3. I get to take time to contemplate the important things in life, for instance "How long does it take to get there?" "Why is the sky blue?" "How do you make things bigger?" "What are stars?" you get the point.
4. My kids love to "read" the scriptures, but while I'm reading to them they really like to play polly pockets and make them say or repeat what I am reading.
5. My kids love to stop in the middle of a prayer and ask any question that comes to mind. And if you forget to pray for Uncle Chan, while he is on his mission, then you have to pray again.
6. My kids keep me in shape. Especially Claire, I think I go up and down the stairs at least 50 times a day and I literally have to chase after Claire before she jumps off a table or a countertop.
7. I have learned to cook. I make a mean Mac and Cheese, because if you ask the kids what they want to eat 99% of the time it is Mac and Cheese. I have also learned not to be offended when my 5 year old tells me it looks yuck, and it doesn't taste too good either.
8. I have become very good at yelling loud enough to be heard over the noise, this is very helpful at sporting events.
9. The Lord has a sense of humor so he sent me a very dramatic child, which only means my mom got her wish when she said "I hope you have a child just like you someday." I love you mom, but really I don't think that was necessary. I am dramatic enough for one house.
10. I love that being a mom has brought me closer to my own mom. She is one of my best friends. She is someone I go to when the days are hard and I don't know what to do. Growing up she was an always an example of service and dedication. She taught me that serving others brings you closer to God. She taught me that sometimes the best education is experience. She was always there for us. She took us to our different activities and was our biggest cheerleader. She loved us with her whole heart and she still does. She taught me to laugh when the going gets tough. She is an amazing mom. I'm grateful that being a mom has helped me see that more clearly.
11. The best reason for being a mom is to see my children learn and grow. I love to hear them playing together and repeating the things I say. I love that Kate thinks I'm amazing and Mackenzie thinks I'm the best mom, especially when she wants something, and Claire's lights up when I walk in a room.

There are days when it is hard and tiring and I loose my temper and yell, even though I promised myself I wouldn't. There are days when I want to run away and hide and sometimes do, even if it is only to my bathroom. But, with all the craziness and the hard dramatic times, I wouldn't change this time in my life. I thank Heavenly Father everyday for the wonderful family I have. I love being a mom. I love hearing the sweet words I love you, from one of my favorite little people.


1 comment:

kelgrandy said...

Lace- This was so sweet! And the perfect thing to end my day on. I'm going to bed now, although I could read more blogs. I want to go to sleep with these thoughts in my head. Love you!