So, where we left off; We got home Sunday night and the first thing Monday morning I called the doctor to get them in, since we were still running 101.5 temps. We get there and I ask him to check for strep throat, and bronchitis and any other sickness. He just says I am going to test for the flu. Sure enough it comes back positive for Flu A, which for anyone wondering it is the same strain that is H1N1. We are then stuck at home until all symptoms are gone. Marshal and Claire were put on Tamiflu, and I decided I didn't want to spend the money on it for me. So after 5 days of fever, we settle down for the 5 more days of expected illness.
By Wednesday night Kenzie is waking me up screaming because her ear hurts. I call Thursday morning and we go in and what do you know, Kenzie's ear drum has burst and Kate has double ear infections. We are put on antibiotics and finally by Friday we are fever free and acting more normal. We go to church Sunday. I walk into nursery and I'm not feeling to well and the other leaders told me I should go home. I get home and take my temperature and discover I now have a 102 fever. It's my turn.
For 4 days I am miserable and grateful that Marshal is willing to get Kenzie up ready for school and out the door so I can sleep in. I am very grateful for Nick Jr. and kids who will sit and watch it while I sleep for hours at a time. I am grateful for Claire's 3 hour naps.
The next week, Kenzie feels better except she is a little backed up. After a week of no bowel movement we start with some pediatric laxatives. While feeding Kenzie her 3 pills, Claire has climbed on the counter and eaten 5 of them. I call poison control and the guys just laughs at me and says that should be some fun diapers. Yeah, thanks for that. I woke up every 2 hours to check diapers and see if Kenzie needed to go yet. Still no poop. By 6 in the morning Claire is waking me up saying Mom, Poop. Of course she was right. That was one crappy day. Kenzie still had not used the bathroom, so my next attempt is a suppository, and that didn't work either. Thanks Beth for your help with that. I finally call the doctor and they tell me to use miralax, which I did for 2 days morning and night. She stayed home from school, because I didn't want that to kick in while at school, because the mess would not have been pretty. Finally after about 9 days, she went and went and went.
Now we are all healthy and I can be thankful for that, and that Claire and Marshal have stayed healthy so far. I'm also thankful that this happened over a holiday because we got to spend a lot of time together as a family. I am also thankful for a few of my wonderful friends stopping by with Vanilla Dr. Peppers to get me through the rough days. I'm grateful for a good neighbor who brought over the most amazing chicken noodle soup mixture that everyone ate. I'm also thankful for the little cooking I had to do, because no was in the mood to eat. I'm grateful for what is to come and that the new year is a time for new beginnings and better attitudes and better health hopefully, but even if not the most healthful, at least filled with the blessings of love and family to pick you up when things are rough. So even through the Worst Christmas Ever, there are blessings beyond measure surrounding our family. I love the opportunity to look back on this Christmas in the years to come and laugh about how absolutely miserable it was.
4 comments:
Holy cow! How did i miss knowing all this was going on?! Glad everyone is doing better- I won't complain about Baylee throwing up all day Christmas day- at least it was only one child! Oh- and way to find the silver lining, I don't knwo that I would have been able too!:)
So sorry you had to go through all of that. The Lacey I know definitely finds the positive! You are stronger than me for sure! Here's to a happy and healthy 2011!
girl you need a GNO. :-) Glad everyone is better now.
Still can't believe you survived that,and often with a smile on your face. You were always laughing about things when I called to check on you. Maybe you laughed so you didn't cry? You deserve a nice vacation with no illness and no poop! Love you Lace. Thanks for sharing the silver linings!
Post a Comment