Tuesday night I did not sleep at all and I got up at 6:00 took a long shower and just sat and waited. We left the house at about 8:30 and got to the hospital about 9:30 and then got checked in and taken to my delivery room. At 10:15 Dr. Hannah's partner came in and checked me and I was still only a 2 so the pitocin was started. By 12:15 the doctor came in and said I was a 3 and he broke my water. I immediately asked for the epidural and they started paging the anesthesiologist, who was not on sight because she was on call. That started at 12:15 and at 2:30 she still wasn't there. After laboring for 2 hours with no pain relief, I thought I might actually die. I know you people who have had no pain meds when giving birth are thinking I'm a wimp and I will gladly admit I am a wimp. Through all of this Claire's heart rate kept going hay wire. Her heart rate would drop really low and they would have to change my position and continue to do this until I was ready to push. After I got my epidural I went from a 6 to a 10 in about 1 hour. I pushed for about 20 minutes and she was here. Our little ice princess!
After she was born we waited to hear the happy sound of crying, but we never did. Claire never cried after she was born. Immediately they took her away and tried everything they could to make her cry. After about 5 minutes I'm crying because she isn't. The nurses were blocking my view as they tried earnestly to get her to cry. Even the doctor kept looking back, just waiting for the big wail. It never came. I finally asked why she wasn't crying and no one could give me an answer. Her apgar was 6 and then 9, so there was nothing wrong with her, she just didn't want to cry. The entire time we were in the hospital and for the first week of her life she never cried. She is now a very good crier, just ask Kenzie, she hates it when Claire starts crying and screams at me to make her stop. I just laugh. We are all doing well and I am trying to adjust to 3 instead of 2. It has been hard, but enjoyable. WE are so glad she is here. She was 8 lbs 1 oz and was 21 inches long. At her last Dr.'s appt. she was 8 lbs 8 oz and almost 22 inches long. She is growing so fast. We love having her here.
8 comments:
How scared you must have been to not hear her cry. I'm so glad that all is well with her. I'm sure your daughters are just loving having her. Speaking from experience, you'll love having 3 little girls so close in age!
I don't think you are a wimp at all, I jokingly asked for my epidural with Delaney before they started the pitocin :) Mclayne didn't cry either and had to spend 12 hours in ICU it is so scary. I'm so glad everyone is healthy and happy congratulations!
You're funny--the whole ice skating to the hospital--I can just picture that! It would be really scary to not hear your new little baby crying. I'm glad everything went okay and you're back home and loving little Claire.
What a cute little baby you have!! She's making up for the lack of crying in the beginning huh?! It's so funny how the other kids respond to a new baby's cry- it's kind of scary to them in the beginning. Kate screaming with her is too funny!
I'm so glad to finally get the details. My voice is on camera after one of my deliveries saying "Why isn't she crying?" I'm glad you guys drove safely to the hospital on the road of ice!
So glad that you made it to the hospital to still have her on your scheduled day! It's definitely a story you will always remember. We had an ice storm the weekend I delivered Tyler, too! It was 10 degrees outside when we brought him home from the hospital!
Just foudn your blog (again). Congrats on the beautiful delivery of your sweet baby. The pain caused by pit w/out meds is the WORST! Glad that you survived! YAY, yay, yay...You are a mom of THREE!
I've delivered babies with and without the epidural and it's all about the epidural! LOVE them.
Post a Comment