After church the girls and I went to Tennessee to spend time with my family. The girls could not wait. They love going to Mom Di and Papa's house. My parents are having their bathroom remodeled and so there were construction workers at the house during the day, so the girls were confined to the upstairs, which is where they usually play anyway, but they did not want to behave and obey their mommy! The first day I did great in keeping my cool and using the Love and Logic way of disciplining, and the second day I did ok, but by the third day I had enough. I told them if they didn't obey mommy one more time we were going home. Thursday morning rolls around and I told them not to do something and then went to do something and came back to find them doing the exact thing I told them not to do. So within one hour I had the car packed and we were driving back to Arkansas, 2 days earlier than planned. They are crying in the back about how much they don't like me, and I am crying because I don't want them to hate me, but I felt I had to follow through. This is my first worst mother award.
Today I decided to go grocery shopping with all 3 kids after a long drive yesterday. As I am walking through the store Claire starts crying so I get her pacifier out and try to console her that way. She again starts crying, I know she hates her car seat and I am almost done, so I am doing my best to console her, when this mother of 1 comes up to me and says,"You know if they cry like that for more than 10 minutes, something is wrong and they aren't getting the oxygen they need." Well I am a mother of 3. I do know that something is wrong with my child, she doesn't want to be in her car seat anymore, but I don't say anything, I just say thanks and walk away! My emotions are high and I am a little ticked that this lady assumes I don't know anything about babies. Let me remind you I have my other children with me as well. And Claire has only been crying for a minute or two. So, the woman approaches me again and says something to the effect of I feel like I just needed to let you know. At this point I want to tell her to mind her own business and not to make assumptions, but again kept my mouth shut. I then took Claire out of her carseat and proceeded to do my grocery shopping with 2 children walking and holding the other one and then pulling the cart. At this point the grocery list is out the window and I start buying junk, because I am so upset at the audacity of this woman to come up and tell me that I am doing something wrong with my kiddos. I am by no means a perfect mom, I will admit that, but give me a break. I am grocery shopping with 3 children and she was shopping with one.
Now my rant is over and I can move on, even if the woman's comment stung a little deeper than it should. I am doing the best I can and by golly I don't need other women criticizing the way I do things. If I wanted her advice I would have asked for it.
8 comments:
Oh, Lacey! You're not a bad mom at all. You know your kids better than anyone and the lady is nuts. I babysat a kid once and the mom warned me, "If he cries until he turns purple, its okay. He does it a lot." And he did, and I didn't have to worry! So thank goodness for moms who know their kids and help us all understand. You're doing wonderful!
Lacey, you put me to shame with your perfection! You are such a sweetheart. If that was your first worst mother award you are doing fabulous. I've lost count. As for the lady in the store I would have told her exactly where to go and how to get there. You are so sweet to have just not said anything:)
I'm very proud of you for following through. I would have sent them to the corner, and then they would have just kept doing it. I've had people come up to me in the store like that, it's annoying. I'm like you though, I usually hold my tounge. I don't think you deserve that award, you are a fantastic mother!
Following through with your threat of leaving for home for not obeying should give you the best mom award. You've taught your girls a good lesson and hopefully it will stick with them for a while. Try to brush off the crazy lady's remarks--you know your girls better than anyone. You're a great mom!
You are so much nicer than me!! I wouldn't have been able to hold back!!
I just can't believe the lady said something...even if she was thinking it! That's not cool. Just wait until she has a tired hungry baby and another kid! Shopping with 2 is hard enough, not sure how you shop with 3!
You have got to be freakin' kiddin' me!! Seriously!?! You rock! Mother of one....too much time on her hands. Apparently she needs two more children to learn what you learned LONG ago, children (and babies) cry sometimes...even when they have everything they "need". I wouldn't have blamed you if you had popped her in the nose! If I knew who she was I would send her hate email!! Love you Lacey. Keep being the "real" mom that you are.
You must have run into the same lady that Meg ran into at Sam's Club! I can understand someone asking if you needed them to help you (the way that you would want) but not giving unwanted advice! I once had a lady ask me if I was going to spank Derrick when I was taking him into the public restroom and he was throwing a fit. I just told her yes (even though we were just going to use the restroom) and asked if she wanted to come watch. That shut her up ;o) Don't let people bother you!!
BTW, we are on the market now-www.bvhouse4sale.blogspot.com
Post a Comment